A specialist Domestic and Family Violence (DFV) Court is located in Southport, dealing exclusively with all civil and criminal DFV matters.
The specialist Court offers:
- A dedicated Magistrate with expertise in DFV issues;
- A specialist DFV Court Registry where specialist Court staff offer support and information;
- Dedicated Prosecutors;
- Duty Lawyers to provide advice and representation for both parties.
Domestic Violence is when one person behaves in a way that controls or dominates another person and causes fear for their safety and wellbeing.
Domestic Violence includes a wide range of behaviours including:
- Physical or sexual abuse;
- Emotional or psychological abuse;
- Economic abuse;
- Threatening behaviour;
- Coercive behaviour.
Domestic Violence extends to children seeing violence, like their parent being hurt, being called names, things being broken or Police arriving.
Violence is considered Domestic Violence when any of the behaviours listed above take place in any of these relationships:
- An intimate personal relationship;
- A family relationship;
- An informal care relationship.
Whether you are a victim of Domestic Violence, or have had an order made against you, we can provide you with advice and assistance.